May Kicks Another Brit While They Are Down

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: May Kicks Another Brit While They Are Down

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 pm

And I was wondering why JamesCog loves this place! :D
Voice From Limbo

Postby Ssanemax » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Picador wrote:1973 actually, but I'll let it go.

This time...

Not that Big of you, given that 'Circa' means 'approximately'- from the Latin for 'around about' - but I suppose I can let it go, as you Yanks don't HAVE roundabouts...

this time.
Ssanemax

Postby Picador » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Ssanemax wrote:

This time...

Not that Big of you, given that 'Circa' means 'approximately'- from the Latin for 'around about' - but I suppose I can let it go, as you Yanks don't HAVE roundabouts...

this time.

I'm not a fucking Yank, you Geordie cunt.

And I know what 'circa; means. Living in Leeds has robbed you of a sense of humour, but being that close to Bradford would depress me too.
Carry on Tango, you're doing a fine job of fucking up TNP. Bravo!
Picador

Postby Ssanemax » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:51 pm

Picador wrote:
Ssanemax wrote:

This time...

this time.

I'm not a fucking Yank, you Geordie cunt.

And I know what 'circa; means. Living in Leeds has robbed you of a sense of humour, but being that close to Bradford would depress me too.

you are not a Yank? Sorry, I just assumed, since you are a bit slow and no one likes you.

Sure, you meant it as a joke - course you did.

And what would I have against Bradford, can I ask? It's a fine city with .... stuff. Lots of stuff that would be great to visit, so I am told.
Ssanemax

Postby Picador » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:56 pm

What do you have against Bradford? Leeds.
Picador

Postby Ssanemax » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Picador wrote:against Bradford?

Your right leg I like. I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said "A lovely leg for the role." I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you.
Ssanemax

Postby Picador » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Ssanemax wrote:
Picador wrote:against Bradford?

Your right leg I like. I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said "A lovely leg for the role." I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you.

Mr Spigot. It suits you, Pat Spigot.

You do realise that we've derailed Bron's liberal/libertarian/loony Left thread with this pointless drivel? He's probably on the phone to the UN this minute.
Picador

Postby Ssanemax » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Picador wrote:You do realise that we've derailed Bron's liberal/libertarian/loony Left thread with this pointless drivel? He's probably on the phone to the UN this minute.

shit, did we? that never occurred to me, god I am so sorry Brony!

I gave serious thought to changing my surname a few years back. I spend the day on the phone, and get bloody sick of having to spell it. My brother agreed, and we had a discussion as to a name that would be both memorable and easy to spell - Twat seemed like the obvious choice.
Ssanemax

Postby Picador » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:33 pm

I've always fancied being a Cunt...

...well there you go :)
Picador

Postby Il Bastardo Pedantesco » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:20 pm

Ssanemax wrote:Yanks don't HAVE roundabouts...

How Many Roundabouts Are in the United States?

Here's some pr0n for Derek... 0;)

Estimated Roundabouts in the United States Through 2019

United States: 7,100

Canada: 950

From Quora: Are there really no roundabouts in the US?

ImageImage

Why Does America Hate Roundabouts?

Some argue the primitive roots of the roundabout actually grew in the U.S. “It’s widely accepted that William Phelps Eno was the bright spark who first devised the idea of a one-way rotary system in 1903, for Columbus Circle, New York City, USA,” asserts the U.K. Roundabout Appreciation Society, an organization rabidly opposed to “fascist, robotic traffic lights.” So why has the country fallen so far behind in deployment, given roundabouts’ elegant simplicity and proven safety benefits?

There are a lot of possible answers, says Lee Rodegerdts, an international roundabout expert (yes, they exist) at the Portland transportation-engineering and planning group Kittelson & Associates.

“My guess is that the possible benefit of roundabouts wasn’t widely known, and we had a long history of using traffic signals,” he says. “It took some bold people—both on the elected-official side and on the transportation-professional side—to get the first ones installed, and they deserve a lot of credit for sticking their necks out there. This boldness had to be repeated a lot around the U.S. during the [first] decade or two, given the skepticism of: ‘Well, that might work there, but it won’t work here.’”

Rodegerdts qualifies that there are disparities between Saunder’s analyses and those of transportation professionals, due to a difference in definitions. Saunder is using Nokia’s terminology of a roundabout being a “contiguous loop with consistent one-way traffic … that controls the traffic flow from converging roads” and a diameter (in most cases) wider than 82 feet. Rodegerdts prefers a stricter engineering definition given by the National Cooperative Highway Research Program. He estimates there were roughly 3,200 roundabouts in the U.S. in 2013; Saunder turned up 10,341 in 2014.

“There are relatively few true roundabouts in Texas, for example, and many of the circular intersections in Florida use stop signs at the entry or have yield signs within the circulatory roadway, which are inconsistent with the accepted practice at roundabouts,” says Rodegerdts.

Using the narrower definition would only widen the roundabout gap between the U.S. and other nations. America’s late start might be partly to blame. The U.K. had what are considered “modern” roundabouts by the 1960s, while America built its first one in 1990 in a Las Vegas subdivision, according to RoundaboutsUSA.

“So some of the difference is due to a longer history,” says Rodegerdts. “I believe the differences in the numbers may also be due to different levels of public investment in infrastructure, particularly with respect to addressing safety concerns where the roundabouts tend to perform quite well relative to other intersection forms.”

There are other, more controversial theories. “The roundabout is said to have flourished in Britain because it requires the British virtues of compromise and cooperation,” opines journalist Stephen Beard—who, no surprise, lives in Britain—writing in BBC America. “The U.S.’s more aggressive, confrontational culture may explain why the roundabout has not been more widely adopted by Americans.”

But Americans shouldn’t feel too bad about their cautious embrace of wonderful, whirling roundabouts, as other nations also lag behind. “For what it’s worth, other advanced countries are very early in their development of roundabouts, such as Japan,” Rodegerdts says. “They only have a few dozen roundabouts so far.”
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Bastardo Pedantesco

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot