Meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

Postby The Little Shepherd Boy » Sun May 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Oh for cunt's sake, Mac - stop keep crying wolf.
You tiresome, walt.
The Little Shepherd Boy

Postby Guest » Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 pm

The Little Shepherd Boy wrote:Oh for cunt's sake, Mac - stop keep crying wolf.
You tiresome, walt.

Do you have any specific refutation of Mac’s points, or are you just another fucking prick who likes the increasing spread of populism, prejudice and regressive social attitudes that we’re seeing around the world these days?

Postby JJCH nli » Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 pm

The Little Shepherd Boy wrote:Oh for cunt's sake, Mac - stop keep crying wolf.
You tiresome, walt.

Given it’s highly unlikely that you follow Brazilian politics, read or watch local media or even have the ability to do so, you might want to pause in your quest to poke Mac.

Bolsonaro has indeed revealed some fairly alarming intentions. He’s essentially come to the view that five months in he can’t govern the country in the face of democratic institutions like Congress and the courts. The chap that wanted to celebrate the coup of 1964 would appear to be seriously contemplating his own. If you are a student of history, you’ll know where that leads. Even if you aren’t Bolsonaro is linked to existing militias and their death squads in Rio. The notion of Tonton Macoutes on the street is far from fanciful. My own mother in-law lives in an area dominated by these very people and they tend not to fuck around when it comes to offing people they don’t like.

Vai tomar no cu, idiota!
JJCH nli

Postby Guest » Mon May 20, 2019 7:35 am

JJCH nli wrote:Given it’s highly unlikely that you follow Brazilian politics, read or watch local media or even have the ability to do so, you might want to pause in your quest to poke Mac.

Erm...no. No, I think I'll carry on full steam ahead.

He's been predicting the apocalypse for some time now, saying how the guns are pointing at him and how at any time he could be shot as Public Enemy No 1.
And yet he's still breathing. Still doing OK.*
The pathetic walt.

*before you jump in and bring your family into it (like you always do, Mac. Despite no one else mentions them. But you constantly drag the poor sods in), Mac. I would like to make it clear that I truly hope nothing happens to them. It's you. I don't want you dead, just a lung taken out or something will do. I'd settle for that. You fucking huge walt.

Postby Another Guest » Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 am

Guest wrote:
JJCH nli wrote:Given it’s highly unlikely that you follow Brazilian politics, read or watch local media or even have the ability to do so, you might want to pause in your quest to poke Mac.

He's been predicting the apocalypse for some time now, saying how the guns are pointing at him and how at any time he could be shot as Public Enemy No 1.
The pathetic walt.

*before you jump in and bring your family into it (like you always do, Mac. Despite no one else mentions them. But you constantly drag the poor sods in), Mac. I would like to make it clear that I truly hope nothing happens to them. It's you. I don't want you dead, just a lung taken out or something will do. I'd settle for that. You fucking huge walt.

So it’s just that you don’t like Mac. Quality debating position right there.

You either don’t have any actual awareness of what’s going on in Brazil, or you do and you’re ok with it, neither of which is good.

Either way I’d suggest you educate yourself a bit on this topic.
Another Guest

Postby Macunaima nli » Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am

I’ve said this before, but you obviously are too thick to understand, so here it goes again.

I HAVE had guns pointed at me multiple times over the past four years as my country disintegrates. That prediction has come true time and again. Death squads do exist and are killing people. Google our friend Marielle Franco. Everything I predicted back in 2015-16 has come true and now we are on the cusp of a military takeover of government. The only question to my mind is how is it going to go? Bozo using the police and militia to force the Army’s hand? Or the Army forcing him to resign, leaving a next-best-thing to fascist Vice President General in power?

I am betting on the second option, myself, and believe me, things are desperate indeed when fucking General Hamilton Mourão looks like the better option

As I have said, time and again, it is highly unlikely that I will be shot as a public enemy. It is much more likely I would be killed in the general increase in violence. A good friend of ours has already been murdered, another has fled the country, a third is getting death threats on a daily basis... The way things are going, Ana and I don’t have to be “Public Enemy #1” (we’re probably Public Enemies #17,620 and #17,62, in fact — we’ve actually probably dropped in the list since Bozo came to power): we just need to be standing next to the wrong person when the murderers come around. Plenty of people we know are much, much higher up on that list than us. President Bozo has a wall in his office with photos of people he would like to see dead. At least three of our good friends are on that wall.

So “why don’t you just leave”, as you’ve said before? We’ve been trying since 2016. I have CVs out everywhere. Our field isn’t one in which you can get a job at a drop of a hat, however. And no, the situation isn’t desperate enough, yet, that we’re going to drop everything we’ve built over the last thirty years and head to the U.S. to clean loos: that’s not arrogance against “the working class”, that’s economic realism.

Who is being a Walter Mitty type here? You. You seem to think of the world in terms borrowed from a political espionage thriller.

In your world, people can just up stakes and move anywhere. There are no (increasingly difficult) immigration bureaucracies to navigate, no family members left behind, no mentees shut out in the cold, no dreams given up, no property lost or sold at a huge loss. Death squads, in your world, are Star Wars-like Evil Empire storm troopers and not extra-legal militias or random, armed goons whose job is to ramp up violence in general in order to terrify the public and make them accept anything.

I really, really, really WISH I lived in a reality that allowed me to fantasize the way you do, that was safe and solid to the point where I, like you, could apprehend it through adventure fantasy. Unfortunately, I am a “communist parasite” who lives in Rio de Janeiro in 2019. My wife is one, too. So, these days, the only place I have for the fantasies that seem to rule your worldview is in the sci-fi and miniatures wargaming books which I read on the way to work to distract me from what is actually, really going on around me.

That’s not being a Walt: that’s sticking one’s head in the sand. And I may not even have the luxury of doing that, soon.
Macunaima nli

Postby Guest » Mon May 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Guest wrote:

The pathetic walt.

I don’t know who you are or where you live or what your life experience is, so I’ll be as respectful as I can with what I say.

I would suggest that Bolsonaro fits *exactly* the profile of the kind of leader people should be very worried about.
He is a ‘hard man’, with a traditional (read - bigoted) religious belief that underpins his views and allows him to justify misogyny, homophobia and racism, and furthermore gives him the belief that the lives of poor people are worth less.
He does not see why he should have to pay due care and attention to the rule of law or morality.
He believes that the military rulers of Brazil did a good job and he is not only inspired by them, but hopes to bring back that level of control.

If you don’t believe this kind of thing can come to pass in the modern world, I would point you in the direction of Russia, most of the Middle East and Africa, and large swathes of South America.

Remember that Brazil has, much like South Africa, not had a lot of experience with real democracy, and corruption runs rampant throughout all strata of society there. The powerful do not think the rules apply to them, but somehow fail to see the irony that they are behaving exactly like the gangs in the favelas which they profess to despise so much yet will do nothing to help.

Bolsonaro is a dangerous man, and Brazil is a dangerous place. If you disagree, I suggest you go a live there for at least six months. Otherwise the only Walter Mitty around here is you.

Postby Macunaima nli » Mon May 20, 2019 12:59 pm

As for “bringing my family into it”, you stupid fuck, the family is the entire point. I am not as exposed as my wife is. And I can’t just up stakes on my own, even if I wanted to, because I am not a basement dwelling incel who sees the world through the lens of Tom Clancy novels.

You’ll be happy to know, however, that the last few years have given me diabetes — probably stress-induced. Less happily for you, I have managed to lose 20+ kilos over the past few months.

Let it not be said the Bozo never did anything for me.
Macunaima nli

Postby rebelyell2006 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Hey, the Russian is back. Finally got over your krokadil-induced gangrene?
rebelyell2006

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot