State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Monkeyborg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:01 am

Shrug.
Monkeyborg

Postby General Apathy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:32 pm

You just have right wing fantasy's so we have no shared reality. Shrug

You're a good man, kyote, despite our differences. Just hope you don't run out of whatever you are smoking anytime soon. :wink:
...all this from someone who is neither apathetic nor a general
General Apathy

Postby rebelyell2006 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:42 pm

It's not the weed. Ultra-conservatives really do live in a different world than everybody else, and operate on a completely different set of facts. I picked up my mother from the train station a while back, and she expressed concern that Clinton would die in her first year in office because they are all convinced she has some sort of major debilitating health issue.
rebelyell2006

Postby General Apathy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Ultra-conservatives really do live in a different world than everybody else, and operate on a completely different set of facts.

As do ultra liberals. Problem is, as Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan notably stated, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

In Kyote's instance, he believes the numbers that the government puts out that support his opinions but totally disregards other statistics from that same government that contradict his opinions - leaving both the LW and RW reporting completely out of it.

As for having different sets of facts, I think in many cases is isn't a case of the facts that are necessarily at odds, though in some cases they are but more of an interpretation of what the facts mean, or what they mean in or out of context or what they mean when you also consider that X, or whatever.

she expressed concern that Clinton would die in her first year in office because they are all convinced she has some sort of major debilitating health issue

Don't know about dying, but a lot of doctors have registered their concerns about her health and what the perceived symptoms may mean. Won't dig links unless you are curious. I just hope she gets better. Hate to have a president running on less than full mental and physical capabilities, and while at State she was on limited duty.
General Apathy

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Obama's Self-Serving Fictions Exposed
Barack Obama is at it again, portraying the partisan battles of his presidency as entirely the result of pigheaded obstructionism by the Republicans -- and twisting the truth to propel the narrative.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:19 pm

General Apathy wrote:
Ultra-conservatives really do live in a different world than everybody else, and operate on a completely different set of facts.

As do ultra liberals. Problem is, as Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan notably stated, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

In Kyote's instance, he believes the numbers that the government puts out that support his opinions but totally disregards other statistics from that same government that contradict his opinions - leaving both the LW and RW reporting completely out of it.

As for having different sets of facts, I think in many cases is isn't a case of the facts that are necessarily at odds, though in some cases they are but more of an interpretation of what the facts mean, or what they mean in or out of context or what they mean when you also consider that X, or whatever.

she expressed concern that Clinton would die in her first year in office because they are all convinced she has some sort of major debilitating health issue

Don't know about dying, but a lot of doctors have registered their concerns about her health and what the perceived symptoms may mean. Won't dig links unless you are curious. I just hope she gets better. Hate to have a president running on less than full mental and physical capabilities, and while at State she was on limited duty.

And the "Hillary is dying" meme is a great example of right wing fantasies.

Xcrement, the problem isn't LW vs RW: the problem is a far right wing that's about ready to elect a president and which routinely cites conspiracy theories as facts.

When the radfems and Black Lives Matter get that close to the presidency, then I will start worrying about left wing fantasies.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:21 pm

And Danny Moynihan? A man who thought black America's problems were the result of matriarchies really has no call to make pithey commentary about being entitled to one's own facts. Danny-boy pretty much singlehandedly invented an urban myth that persists in policy-making circles up to today.
Macunaima nli

Postby Bronshtein » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Condottiero wrote:Obama's Self-Serving Fictions Exposed
Barack Obama is at it again, portraying the partisan battles of his presidency as entirely the result of pigheaded obstructionism by the Republicans -- and twisting the truth to propel the narrative.

Or from the same piece:

Republicans haven’t covered themselves in glory during the Obama years, and the president takes some fair shots at them in his New York interview.

You naughty selective quoter you. :wink:
Bronshtein

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Bronshtein wrote:
Condottiero wrote:Obama's Self-Serving Fictions Exposed

Or from the same piece:

Republicans haven’t covered themselves in glory during the Obama years, and the president takes some fair shots at them in his New York interview.

You naughty selective quoter you. :wink:

I'm supposed to say that to you, while wielding a feather duster and a roll of Izal... :twisted:

It's an even handed op piece, considering Ramesh Ponnuru's credentials...

On that merged thread, thank-you Mac-Ap, I did link to FactCheck.org article, but everyone ignored it.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby General Apathy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Mac, you are off in the deep end again. My post was just to illustrate that the problem isn't as one sided as portrayed by Reb, and that kyote has selective observation and non-critical thinking.

I also commented that doctors were concerned.

If there are folks claiming she is going to die, it has nothing to do with my post. As for Moynihan and whatever else he might have been, in addition to a good Irish drunk, it doesn't change the truth of that quote I provided.

Go bark up a different tree. Not interested in your take on things I never stated.
General Apathy

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot