State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Voice From Limbo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm

I say they should live up to their name, and play in jock straps this time.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Voice From Limbo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 am

The Trumpster was up at midnight, tweeting again. This time, it was back to "OPEN THE SCHOOLS!!!".

Some fun responses, but for some reason, my favorite was:

"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!"

Not sure why.
Voice From Limbo

Postby kyotebue2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:55 pm

It's a never-ending shitshow of incompetence.
kyotebue2

Postby McKinstry » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:39 pm

It's a never-ending shitshow of incompetence

And yet it is pretty certain 40% or more of the electorate will vote for the aforementioned shit show of incompetence. Stupidity and racism do not fully explain the Trumpian floor. As disgusting as it seems, at least some reasonably intelligent, educated and successful folks will vote for this appallingly awful individual and his incompetent administration out of perceived self-interest be it single issue bigotry (pro-abortion or ant--LGBTQ), greed or fear.

I fear Trump (and Johnson, Orban, Erdogan et al) is simply a horrid manifestation of a deeper rot.
McKinstry

Postby Macunaima » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:20 am

Yes, they will and yes it is.

Civilization as we know it is indeed coming to an end, as in 1914-45 or 1775-1815. Some new global system is going to take its place and millions — maybe many millions are going to die.

And we are just beginning to figure out the initial contours of the struggle and how it will play out; what will be important and what will not.

It won’t be like the last two great crashes. This one, I think, will put an end to the nation state as the highest form of human organization, one way or another.

What’s tragic is watching all these dumb conservatives believe that they can hold back time or — indeed — turn back the clock. Marx was dead right about one thing at least: history only goes in one direction. All the people with MAGA hats and those waving British flags, their time is coming to an end and they know it.

The accelerationist utopians think they are getting the dead weight of the State off their back. Most of them — the idiots who think they are libertarians, like our old pal the Dogfucker — don’t even realize that the State is what gave them a modicum of stability and prosperity. I mean, what would JJ Parrus of Virginia Beach DO if there weren’t big, government-supported defense contractors? Fucking chihuahuas doesn’t pay much. :)

God knows what’ll take the current global civilization’s place, but I don’t think it will be pretty.
Macunaima

Postby HongKongPhooey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:34 am

we're doomed, we're all doomed!
HongKongPhooey

Postby Bronshtein » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:57 pm

The problem with Marx was he tended to be a bit of a historical determinist.
That works doesn't it?
We probably are in a changing of the world order.

But as for:
All the people with MAGA hats and those waving British flags, their time is coming to an end and they know it.

I really don't think most do. They feel a tremor in the force but that's about it.

And nothing is fixed.
People didn't roll over in front of Fascism or Stalinism. They were both defeated.

I admit however, the front runners for post everything outcomes don't have a rosy glow to them, unless it's a post nuclear exchange ashy sort of a hue.

All the media types who have swallowed the 'optimism makes you live longer' bullshit are running their 'what would you like your post Covid office to look like?' questionnaires and vox pops with a fixed plastic smile in the face of reality.

The times they are a changin?

I never thought the hippies paid enough attention to Bob's actual lyrics:

And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'

Sounds great on day one of the revolution. Not so hot on day two when the counterattack starts.
Bronshtein

Postby Ssanemax » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Bronshtein wrote: i remember when all this was Dinosaurs. Proper Dinosaurs, not like the nasty little ones you get nowadays.

Old bastards have been predicting the impending end of civilisation for as long as people started living past 30.
Ssanemax

Postby Macunaima » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:31 pm

HongKongPhooey wrote:we're doomed, we're all doomed!

Alot of us probably are. Most of us will make it. But we probably won’t like it at all.

I admit, I am a pessimist. But let’s get back to this prediction of mine in five years time and see where we are. If things are much better than they are now, please: take all the piss out of me you like and I won’t say a word in objection.
Macunaima

Postby Ssanemax » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Macunaima wrote:please: take all the piss out of me you like and I won’t say a word in objection.

we needed your permission all of a sudden?
Ssanemax

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot