TMP antics summary.

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: TMP antics summary.

Postby Macunaima » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Let’s just bump this thread again for people who are late to the party and who may be coming here in reaponse to Billidum’s latest public face-plant.
Macunaima

Postby General Paranoia » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Macunaima wrote:Let’s just bump this thread again for people who are late to the party and who may be coming here in reaponse to Billidum’s latest public face-plant.

Bill should read this so he can keep his side of the story straight, he seems to lose the plot every so often.
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
TMP - killing off small companies!
General Paranoia

Postby General Paranoia » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 pm

Just adding the post from Nevinsrip of Kings Mountain Miniatures to the archive:-

Hello All, I am getting deluged with inquiries about why I left TMP. Let's be clear. I did not leave I had my account locked by the Editor.
Here is the full story so far.

Bill posted this on TMP regarding the "Shut Up" rule.

"One of our oldest forum rules here on TMP is the rule that says you can't tell other members what not to post about. We call it the No Shut Up Rule.

The purpose behind the rule is to remind our members that they are not moderators, and don't have the authority to tell other TMP members what they can or cannot post on the forum. As a business, we don't want you to discourage any of our other customers from participating.

If you feel that someone is posting inappropriately, please use the Complaint Button so a TMP staffer can address the situation."

I posted this in return:

"Stirring the pot, Bill? Traffic must be slow on TMP."

The next day several emails from various people advised me that my account had been locked.
Not a word from the Editor. No email, no explanation, no nothing.

So, I wrote to ask him why. And he is our correspondence, word for word. I have all the original email to back this up.

Anyway, I wrote this to ask why, since I pay to advertise there.

"Hello Bill, I see that you have locked my account. It's funny because several people emailed me to break the news to me. I had no idea. It doesn't speak well of you, that you did not bother to explain why you took such action. I've been a member since 2004 and you couldn't be bothered to explain?

Please cancel my supporting membership, as it would be silly to pay for something that you can't see.

I've enjoyed my time on The Other Place. Be well...............Bill Nevins

PS What rule did I break? I really am curious.......BN"

In reply I got this:

"What Supporting Membership? You don't have one."

Well, that explains it.

Honestly, I don't really care. I have not been active there in a while, just as I have slacked off here. I've been in 54 mm mode for about 8 months now and I am having a blast with my own line of figures. I'll slip back into 28's when the mood strikes. It always does. But, if you noticed that I was missing from The Other Place, now you know why.

This was his reply:
"Your comments on this topic were out of line.http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=503710"

To which I said:

"How can I see that? You locked my account."

Bill replied

"Your comments regarding my post:

"One of our oldest forum rules here on TMP is the rule that says you can't tell other members what not to post about. We call it the No Shut Up Rule.

The purpose behind the rule is to remind our members that they are not moderators, and don't have the authority to tell other TMP members what they can or cannot post on the forum. As a business, we don't want you to discourage any of our other customers from participating.

If you feel that someone is posting inappropriately, please use the Complaint Button so a TMP staffer can address the situation."

I answered him :

"So, that comment caused you to lock the account of 15 year member who was also an advertiser. And that seems appropriate to you?

Perhaps a deep breath is in order. Failing that, Anger Management is always an option.

That is so far over the top, that it's funny.

What TMP rule was broken?

I can't find anything in the rules that rises to this level. Perhaps you can explain"

Mr Editor answered with:

"If you can't see why your post was completely inappropriate, nothing I can say can get through to you.

Best wishes."

My latest:

"Actually, I do not. I am still waiting for the specific rule that I broke. This is the

4 th time I am asking, without a reply. Chapter and verse, please.

By the way, I did not receive my final invoice yet"

And that's where it stands as of right now. Anything else you read is a lie. As I said I have all the emails with date and time stamps

Make your own judgement. I'll share my opinion later on......Bill Nevins(RIP) KMM

PS Anyone brave enough to post this on TMP get a free KMM figure LOL LOL
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
General Paranoia

Postby Etranger2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Bump
Etranger2

Postby Alcofribas Nasier » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:13 am

Alcofribas Nasier

Postby kyotebue2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:51 am

Huzzah!!!
kyotebue2

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:12 am

Get a Loyalist officer wearing a plumed slouch hat.

Postby General Paranoia » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am

How Bill encourages artificial drama to increase traffic but drives away his most important advertisers in the process
Etranger2 wrote:From the TMP 'Positivity' thread, before it gets nuked..

TFL Rich:
Okay, well, this has been informative.

In the interest of full disclosure I contacted Bill, not as a "reader" but as an advertiser. I have supported TMP via advertising for over ten years, spending several thousands of dollars in that time. The reason I contacted him was to tell him that I wanted to end our advertising. I sent him a private email explaining my reasons.

I don't think my views are unique; many people I speak to tell me that they no longer post on TMP because of the constant sniping and arguments. However, they also agree with me that TMP is a great place to go to to get hobby news. We only have to look at several comments on this and the accompanying thread to see that there are issues.

For example, my position is very much as Patrick R said when he commented:

"TMP can be the greatest and it can be the absolute worst at times.There have been a wide range of incidents over the years and TMP seems to stumble from one crisis to the next."

or Big Red when he said:

"Poles about "worst" or "most detested" are usually tongue in cheek but when they focus on someone's hard work they can be very negative and hurtful. A game designer prominent in the 90s just quit publishing games because he got fed up with the amount of vitriolic feed back.
Posts such as brand X "stinks!!!" followed by "no, I haven't actually read or played the game but someone told me that they STINK!!!" could use some self restraint or self censorship.
A little common sense and common courtesy goes a long way especially in traffic and on a public forum."

And that's pretty much my position. I told Bill that I would happily reconsider my position as an advertiser if he could assure me that the small number of negative polls would be removed. Now, as it happens my business does very well in the polls run here but my concern is that by posting negative polls we are encouraging people to post in an overtly negative manner. "I hate this" . "I detest that". Once you encourage that you set the tone for people behaving in a negative and even offensive manner across the board. And maybe that is why phrases like :The concerned reader should pull the stick out of his arse", "pussy", Snowflake and references to safe spaces are being made. All of which are well wide of the mark.

Equally, many comments have been made saying that if you don't like a thread you can simply not click on it. Okay, well, you could extend that and say that if you don't like the footpaths of your neighbourhood being strewn with dog excrement, the solution is not to tread in it. However, let's ignore that. The point here is that I am not a reader, I am an advertiser. In the same way that you can correctly say "Bill's site, Bill's rules", I can say "Richard's money, Richard decides where to spend it."

I should add that I am not coming to this as an idealist. I run a forum, I run a Yahoo Group, Facebook Page and several other on-line social media platforms where interaction with the public happens on a minute by minute basis, Do we ever get people saying daft things? Yes, of course. However, that is extremely rare and we certainly never begin from a position where we ask people "what things do you hate".

So, all of the above considered, I approached BIll and made my position clear. I felt that the small number of negatively worded polls were an obstacle to that. Bill made it clear that the polls were not his fault, but were suggested by his readers. At that juncture I pointed out that if a reader was stupid enough or obnoxious enough to suggest a crazy poll Bill was under no obligation to run it. Bill suggested he should put my points to the readership and this thread ensued.

I should stress that at no point was our conversation anything other than civil. This was a business conversation between an advertiser and an advertising provider. Personally I see no benefit in Bill making that discussion public by selectively quoting from my comments, but equally it is, as we are regularly told, Bill's place, so Bill's rules. Bill has decided that the tiny minority of negative polls that I felt were not encouraging newcomers to the hobby will remain. I have decided to keep my money in my pocket.

I am vaguely intrigued by being referred to as a "pussy' and a 'snowflake'. However, those comments have served to confirm that the type of response you see here on TMP is less measured, less considered and most importantly less welcoming than I find elsewhere. The sad thing is that I was suggesting a very minor change in approach which accentuated the positive rather than the negative as I honestly believe that we need to actively promote our hobby to ensure is continuation and that with a very minor change TMP could be a more positive place for new gamers to hang out and enjoy a new hobby. That's not 'safe spaces' but simply an environment which is positive and welcoming

Cheers

Rich
(my italics...)

That might spur Billdo on a bit...

http://www.freezepage.com/1565513477XIOGQLTVUH
https://gyazo.com/ee100279f3969b9a1aa185cd4995de93

The original thread in which Bill did nothing to stop an obvious trolling attempt from a poster that quickly disappeared when asked if he'd actually played any of the games
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg ... 795&page=1
General Paranoia

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am

We should try to keep this thread updated with Bill's latest strangeness

Just for the edification of visitors from TMP
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:I have learned from experience to require a certain level of respect from those who use our forum. If you do not do this, people think they can walk all over you.

Imagine what would happen if Dave went into a restaurant, and publicly told the proprietor that he didn't respect his customers? He'd be tossed out on his ear.

There is some irony in the fact that Dave posted the exact type of negative attack which Rich has complained about.

The terrible crime that Dave committed that was too much for Bill to bare:-
General Paranoia

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot