The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:21 am

That is breach of copyright in English law.
The magazine should not be publishing it and no-one should be doing it.
Part of the model is covered by the same prohibition pertaining to the full model.
Unless of course the production company has given explicit permission to do so.
Last I heard Wargames Illustrated was not part of the English judicial system and their behaviour does not constitute binding precedent.
Bronshtein

Postby kyotebue2 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:29 am

Wow!!!
kyotebue2

Postby Macunaima » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:35 am

Bronshtein wrote:That is breach of copyright in English law.
Part of the model is covered by the same prohibition pertaining to the full model.
Last I heard Wargames Illustrated was not part of the English judicial system and their behaviour does not constitute binding precedent.

You mean English law doesn't cover the entire WORLD, as was once claimed here?

The thing is, Bronie, even if they have permission from the good folks at Woodbine, they are flat out telling everyone how to do this. They are hardly the only ones, either: I've seen this in other hobby publications, particularly plastic modeling and diorama building.

Could it be that fair use may indeed be allowed in legal systems other than the English...?
Macunaima

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 am

Bronshtein wrote:That is breach of copyright in English law.

Based on this :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions- ... t#overview

I am inclined to agree.
Michael

Postby Ssanemax » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:46 am

Macunaima wrote:Pat, haven’t you been telling me for years that there’s no such thing as “fair use” in British law, allowing one to copy pieces of a miniature for use in one’s own art?

No. I have never pontificated on the Law, nor would I dare to. You are almost certainly confusing me with someone else. That is one of the perils of believing your dislikers are all just one of two peeps with lots of socks.

What I probably said was that you are a Twat. I will stick by that Opinion m'lud.

I would chance my arm, and suggest, mildly that "He did it, so it's ok for ME to" is not a reliable defence in most Jurisdictions.

I am starting to wonder more and more about you. Just as Donald T cannot imagine someone else winning by cheating, as he based a life on it, I think maybe you can't imagine we are not all out there sock-puppeting away and recasting to our little hearts content.

Only child Thadeus?
Ssanemax

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:54 am

Fair use is indeed allowed in other jurisdictions (and English Law) who are signatories to the Berne Convention or TRIPS (a WTO agreement). (164 TRIPS signatories out of 179 Berne Convention countries). This harmonises copyright laws, English law follows the standard interpretations - there are some countries where details differ but they are a minority.

In general this standard interpretation exempts copying for limited reasons; private research, educational use, news reporting and review, and making readable copies for people with disabilities.

It does not include blagging bits of others work and mass producing it for your own purposes.
Bronshtein

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Copying existing miniatures - Laws, licences and legality

Q: Can I create casts of the miniature without licence, if I don't make a mould of the whole miniature, just parts of it?

No, the same law still applies. Every part of the model is protected by the same licence, and that makes the copied piece an illegal recast if you do it without permission.

I don't think its going to be worth coming after you for press-molding something like a backpack, especially in Brazil and Central and East European and certain Asian countries.

Q: I bought the model originally, it just got lost / broken. I should be allowed to make a copy of it, isn't it so?

When you buy a miniature, you get a licence to use it until you have it. However the normal licence doesn't allow you to create copies of the mini if it gets damaged. If it gets damaged during the guarantee period, you can contact the seller. Also, if it gets lost, you need to buy a new one, as the licence to use the mini doesn't cover this.

In the EU, there was a proposal to allow the creation of pieces for the intent of the repair of the original, but as of now, I haven't seen it legalised.

Never heard of a guarantee period for figures... :-?

Contacting a company over miscasts or broken parts from transit is one thing, but is it possible to call due to breakage during a game? I should've reached out to GW after some twat tore off some multi based Alcatani pikemen, due to these being on a square and AoS can only be played on rounds and ovals. :roll:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby frotherPest » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Macunaima wrote:
frotherPest wrote:For miniatures you don’t like and a game you aren’t interested in (would you even actually collect fantasy naval to begin with?), you sure are paying a lot of attention to his Kickstarter and his posts on various sites.

All this arguing and making an ass of yourself over something you have zero actual desire to own.

Various sites....?

TWW, Kickstarter, LAF, I know you looked on TMP, you brought it to Frothers...

How do you manage to spend so much time following around projects you don’t like while grading hundreds of papers, writing articles, dodging ninja, arguing with everyone here, recasting miniatures and terrain, being ignored by your wife, chatting up prostitutes, stalking Bill’s employees...?

But you stay gold, Ponyboy.
Nobody ever reads the fine print.
frotherPest

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:18 pm

I think he said it was on DakkaDakka too?
Michael

Postby Mrs JJCH Mac » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Michael wrote:I am inclined to agree.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think you'll find Mac is STILL correct.
And I'm pretty sure he'll come along and tell us all so in his usual condescending and patronising manner.
Mrs JJCH Mac

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot