The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:09 am

Guest wrote:
Tangoaticus wrote:I am starting to think that Warlord no longer advertises on TMP as still no word on Judge Dredd.

Warlord is posting plenty on Black Seas.
I thought 40K was hideously overpriced. But this project takes the cake.
$38 for USS Constitution
$38 for HMS Victory
$38 for l’Orient
The Classic GW model of charging a fortune for “the good stuff”, but only an arm and a leg for fleets.

These are 1/700 ships. But the box they come in is pretty.
A friend got a nice Dover type book for $17 which he photocopied to get quite fleets. We just did the Battle of the Capes, where my seamanship was dreadful. :D
He got the rules from Free Wargaming Rules”.

I calculated that he could do Trafalgar for less than $1000.

Oh, yes. Judge Dredd. Warlord has more important things to gouge the customer over.

Well, I just spent 150 USD on this, getting a total of 18 ships, plus all the fixin’s. Expensive? I thought long and hard about doing it, but... the same ships in pewter would cost me 60 USD from Valiant in 1:2000, with no greeblies and no rules. Seems reasonable to me. I don’t know if 38 bucks for the Constitution is reasonable, but I have to admit, I am sorely tempted.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:14 am

Meridian’s model of the Constitution is about the same price, but with brass etched ratlines and all in pewter. No greeblies or sails, thought, but still probably nicer.
Macunaima nli

Postby Winnie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:22 am

Macunaima nli wrote:Meridian’s model of the Constitution is about the same price, but with brass etched ratlines and all in pewter. No greeblies or sails, thought, but still probably nicer.

Can I come down and play, even though we are bitter enemies? :D

Gaming transcends everything.
You come up here when I’m doing Spencer’s Ordinary, or Lauzun’s Legion “foraging” in Connecticut. But bring beer.
Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:26 am

If you cannot grasp the beauty of this, you have no soul.
Emmylou and Don Williams, written by Townes Van Zandt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QHoAg-LlVVM

His “other hit”, is of course “Pancho and Lefty”. Again I prefer Emmylou. So did Willie.
Winnie

Postby JJCH nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 am

GHQ 1/1200 Constitution for $11.95 USD. Arguably better detailed. I used to have a small collection of GHQ and Langton ships. I shared a house for a brief while with a nutter who had fleets of the bloody things as well as both fleets for Jutland. As another friend once said ‘ a monument to monomania’.

That said the GHQ ships are things of beauty and 1/1200 strikes me as a much more practical scale for fleet actions, even smaller ones.

I reckon I’d dabble again if I could do Cochrane vs the Portuguese in Bahia.
JJCH nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Winnie wrote:
Macunaima nli wrote:Meridian’s model of the Constitution is about the same price, but with brass etched ratlines and all in pewter. No greeblies or sails, thought, but still probably nicer.

You come up here when I’m doing Spencer’s Ordinary, or Lauzun’s Legion “foraging” in Connecticut. But bring beer.

We are definitely not bitter enemies, John. Also? I am in your neck of the woods this week: Participating in a seminar at Brown University in Rhode Island.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:58 pm

JJCH nli wrote:GHQ 1/1200 Constitution for $11.95 USD. Arguably better detailed. I used to have a small collection of GHQ and Langton ships. I shared a house for a brief while with a nutter who had fleets of the bloody things as well as both fleets for Jutland. As another friend once said ‘ a monument to monomania’.

That said the GHQ ships are things of beauty and 1/1200 strikes me as a much more practical scale for fleet actions, even smaller ones.

I reckon I’d dabble again if I could do Cochrane vs the Portuguese in Bahia.

My thought exactly. Also? River Platte battles!
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:02 pm

What sold me on this is the emphasis on small squadron actions. These guys are going to be part of my imagNation campaign (OK, slightly wrong tech level, I know, but who cares?) For Fleet actions, I’d still use Valiant.

The other thing that is selling me is that it is historical gaming light, with neat toys. I am almost sure I can can get the kids at the local gaming pub to play this one.
Macunaima nli

Postby Editor Lolita » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Macunaima nli wrote:
Winnie wrote:

We are definitely not bitter enemies, John. Also? I am in your neck of the woods this week: Participating in a seminar at Brown University in Rhode Island.

You should “ding dong ditch” Bill’s house on Halloween night. Or toilet-paper Ralph’s trees.
Editor Lolita

Postby sebigboss79nli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Editor Lolita wrote:
Macunaima nli wrote:
Winnie wrote:

You should “ding dong ditch” Bill’s house on Halloween night. Or toilet-paper Ralph’s trees.

Septics might shoit you. If lucky only with a bullet....
sebigboss79nli

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot