The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm

JJCH nli wrote:
It’s a tragedy :D that Bill is such a cunt and moron in charge if TMP.
Maybe “tragedy” is over blowing the case, but it is what it is.

Not if sung in a quavering falsetto, with a disco beat. Then it is perfect.

^This.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm

(Shit, watching that video and I didn’t realize that Vila Mimosa had a recording studio.)
Macunaima nli

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Macunaima nli wrote:
Guest wrote:
Macunaima nli wrote:
Galbraith wrote:I visited tmp for the first time in many months. What happened to it? There's fuck-all discussion there. Just streams of Tango that spark almost no comment.
Are there any members left?

Even when it was the prize arse Bill locking out British members there was a lot of posting. Does anyone remember when it had daily discussions about the finer points of gaming, historical information, uniform data etc.? All a bit tragic.

My best guess is that Bill has absolutely no ability to self-reflect. His gambit with the
Monty Schwab thing unhinged him as it brought his two lives into public view. He repeatedly tried to close the barn door after the horses have run off. He then became hyper paranoid about any slight, perceived or otherwise. The only people more or less able to stand him are the kinds of folks who would, frankly, have a hard time socializing on any other web board. Given the kind of guys who make up wargaming, this means they are heavily skewed to old, white, American, right wing, paranoid nutsos. And these are the only guys who are willing to put up with Bill’s bullshit anymore.

There are still those who hang around out of nostalgia’s sake. Sure, Uncle Bill soils himself, but remember when it was fun to hang around?

Some are resigned to the fact that if they “get out of line”, they’ll be shitcanned. But as long as they just ask for information on von Jastrow’s Freikorps in 1758 Silesia, they should be safe.
Then, when Kiley says that blah blah blah, and they get the axe for disagreeing, they’re actually surprised. Shouldn’t be, but they are.

Many just shake their heads and plow on.

Some expect to get kicked off. They’re surprised they lasted as long as they did. When they get locked out, it’s a relief. That would be me. :D

Then there are the cunts on Frothers who are morally superior and have nothing but contempt for those who remain. Go fuck yourselves. Judge not, etc.
If I have any regrets, it’s that I’ve lost touch with some friends who remain. Some I have alternate ways to communicate with them. Some, not.

It’s a tragedy :D that Bill is such a cunt and moron in charge if TMP.
Maybe “tragedy” is over blowing the case, but it is what it is.

No, John, I think tragedy is spot on, in the Greek sense. A sordid little ridiculous tragedy, but a tragedy nonetheless.

I disagree. An Aristotelian tragic figure was a great man whose greatest virtue was also his flaw. (I suggested in that class that perhaps the biggest mistake a Hero could make was to actually consult the Delphic Oracle. No good ever came from that.)
We see it in Shakespeare too. One professor said that if you switch the main characters in Othello and Hamlet, you would have no play. Othello would have killed Claudius in Act I, and Hamlet would have seen through Iago.

I was thinking of classic tragedy. You must be a Great Man first to be a tragic figure. Running what was once a decent wargaming site into the ground doesn’t count. Bill did destroy TMP through character flaws, but these flaws did not derive from greatness. Bill is not Coriolanus. Lear maybe. I never saw Lear as tragic. Only ridiculous. In fact, Bill is a perfect Lear. Goneril and Regan suck up to him while secretly holding him in contempt, and he kicks out any who tell him the truth.

We too often see the word “tragic” misused. A bus load of children being hit by a train may be horrible, but not tragic in the true meaning of the word.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Naaaah. Titus Andronicus.
It’s too ridiculous to be a tragedy. Plenty of bloodshed and rape, but silly.

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 pm

You won’t like this, but...

Yes, Bill was a “great” man, for wargaming world levels of great. And that greatness came from his ability to organize and network and - dare I say it - his ability to take risks. He probably had to ignore a lot of nay-sayers among his friends and family to make TMP what it was. He needed to be bullheaded. And even his charitable impulses are great — again, for wargame world level of “great”.

The problem is that it is this precise bullheadedness, his inability to take advice, and his belief that his hobbies can pay for his retirement that brought him to this current impass.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:50 pm

Though I admit it is a tragicomedy.

Look, I deal with trans sex workers and their clients all the time. Bill is a classic case. And it is tragic. That doesn’t mean it also isn’t hilarious.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:51 pm

In the sense that a NRA convention getting shot up by a rightwing lunatic would be tragic and also funny as hell.
Macunaima nli

Postby kyotebue2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 pm

True.
kyotebue2

Postby Winnie Baratheon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Macunaima nli wrote:In the sense that a NRA convention getting shot up by a rightwing lunatic would be tragic and also funny as hell.

Since I have given up the struggle over the correct use of “begging the question”, I guess I’ll have to give way on “tragic” too.
But I’m right and you’re wrong. :D
I’ll still use both correctly, though.
Winnie Baratheon

Postby Galbraith » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:06 am

Macunaima nli wrote:
Galbraith wrote:
My best guess is that Bill has absolutely no ability to self-reflect. His gambit with the
Monty Schwab thing unhinged him as it brought his two lives into public view. He repeatedly tried to close the barn door after the horses have run off. He then became hyper paranoid about any slight, perceived or otherwise. The only people more or less able to stand him are the kinds of folks who would, frankly, have a hard time socializing on any other web board. Given the kind of guys who make up wargaming, this means they are heavily skewed to old, white, American, right wing, paranoid nutsos. And these are the only guys who are willing to put up with Bill’s bullshit anymore.

The pseudo-psychiatric stuff is amusing but I prefer to go with "Bill is bat-shit crazy" and leave it there.
And I'll leave tmp there too. Clearly not even worth a visit any more.
Galbraith

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot