World Cup 2018

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:21 pm

I think you'll find that this result shows the alliance of the Great Patriotic War should never have been shunned so easily in response to the New Imperialist blandishments of the United States of Standard Oil and that peace loving peoples everywhere must stand shoulder to shoulder to defeat the ever present global menace of Fascism (fucking Ustasha United).
The World's hopes rest with France.
:|

We're doomed.
Bronshtein

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:30 pm

SMNLI wrote:
Kevin Keegan wrote:So now that's all as good as over will the working class families be taking down all those England flags from their council house windows?

I don't think you are English. We haven't had a working class for thirty years. If you are working, you are middle class. If you are not working, you are underclass.

So you're working three sub minimum wage, zero hour contract jobs with no NI cover to try and make ends meet, your kids are stuck in a 'failing' school because the good teachers are being creamed off into 'academies', you can't afford a mortgage, the 'buy to let' landlord is racking your rent to pay for his third skiing holiday, your partner's job is being outsourced to an exciting new move in modern flexible employment which removes their employment protection and drops their pay by 40% and you rely on a Social Services note to get access to a foodbank for your kids and you are 'Middle Class'?

Hug yourself to sleep without heating in winter with the thought that we're all middle class now.

Hurray for the Sainted Margaret.
Bronshtein

Postby smnli » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 pm

JJCH nli wrote:(WADA random dope testing permitting)

It would explain a lot if it transpired the England Team doc had misheard instructions over the roar of the crowd and thought he had been told to inject them all with Opiates rather than EPO. Lord Kane of Moscow is allegedly a Genius, able to walk on water, tell stork from butter and spin gold out of straw, but I saw him being interviewed and he seems to be a sleepy sort of geezer.

Pat
smnli

Postby rebelyell2006 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Bronshtein wrote:I think you'll find that this result shows the alliance of the Great Patriotic War should never have been shunned so easily in response to the New Imperialist blandishments of the United States of Standard Oil and that peace loving peoples everywhere must stand shoulder to shoulder to defeat the ever present global menace of Fascism (fucking Ustasha United).

We're doomed.

I think you are reading too much into a simple kickball tournament.
rebelyell2006

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I suppose you think the Olympics is about running around an athletic track
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Bronshtein

Postby Condottiero » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm

rebelyell2006 wrote:
Bronshtein wrote:I think you'll find that this result shows the alliance of the Great Patriotic War should never have been shunned so easily in response to the New Imperialist blandishments of the United States of Standard Oil and that peace loving peoples everywhere must stand shoulder to shoulder to defeat the ever present global menace of Fascism (fucking Ustasha United).

We're doomed.

It's called football and unlike what's called such here, it's not populated by steroid chomping freaks from a post-apocalyptic wasteland of fisting...

Why Do Americans Call It Soccer Instead of Football? Blame England

In the early 1800s in England, football and rugby existed as different variations of the same game. But in 1863, the Football Association was formed to codify the rules of football so that aristocratic boys from different schools could play against one another. In 1871, the Rugby Football Union followed suit. The two sports officially became known as Rugby Football and Association Football. (Those new rules were slow to spread to America, where another version of the game was evolving — one that the rest of the world now knows as “American football,” and is played in the NFL.)

In England, Szymanski writes, aristocratic boys came up with the shortened terms “rugger” and “soccer” to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football. To support this argument, he cites a letter to The New York Times, published in 1905: “It was a fad at Oxford and Cambridge to use “er” at the end of many words, such as foot-er, sport-er, and as Association did not take an “er” easily, it was, and is, sometimes spoken of as Soccer.”

And the term, Szymanski says, was widely recognized in England through the first half of the twentieth century, according to data he crunched from books and newspapers. It became even more prevalent after the World War II — driven, he suggests, by the number of American soldiers in the country and the infatuation with American culture that came after the war.

But by the 1980s, Brits started to turn against the word. “The penetration of the game into American culture,” Szymanski writes, “has led to backlash against the use of the word in Britain, where it was once considered an innocuous alternative to the word ‘football.'”

Was bemused over being corrected by an American regarding my pronunciation of Scarborough - Scar-burra. According to these people, it should be Scar-boro, never mind that I was taught the former and lived there for almost half a year. :roll: Do these twats pronounce Pittsburgh as Pitts-boro? It should be Pitts-burra, as it was founded by a Scotsman, but the burg pronunciation stuck, probably due to the Germans, along with a printer's mistake, during the 1816 incorporation, resulting in the "H" disappearing for around an hundred years, despite being in the charter.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Ooh Ahh Cantona » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:34 pm

We're doomed.

Altogether now:

Allons, enfants de la Patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6O_8RohRrI
Ooh Ahh Cantona

Postby rebelyell2006 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Condottiero wrote:
rebelyell2006 wrote:

We're doomed.

It's called football and unlike what's called such here, it's not populated by steroid chomping freaks from a post-apocalyptic wasteland of fisting...

Why Do Americans Call It Soccer Instead of Football? Blame England

In the early 1800s in England, football and rugby existed as different variations of the same game. But in 1863, the Football Association was formed to codify the rules of football so that aristocratic boys from different schools could play against one another. In 1871, the Rugby Football Union followed suit. The two sports officially became known as Rugby Football and Association Football. (Those new rules were slow to spread to America, where another version of the game was evolving — one that the rest of the world now knows as “American football,” and is played in the NFL.)

In England, Szymanski writes, aristocratic boys came up with the shortened terms “rugger” and “soccer” to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football. To support this argument, he cites a letter to The New York Times, published in 1905: “It was a fad at Oxford and Cambridge to use “er” at the end of many words, such as foot-er, sport-er, and as Association did not take an “er” easily, it was, and is, sometimes spoken of as Soccer.”

And the term, Szymanski says, was widely recognized in England through the first half of the twentieth century, according to data he crunched from books and newspapers. It became even more prevalent after the World War II — driven, he suggests, by the number of American soldiers in the country and the infatuation with American culture that came after the war.

But by the 1980s, Brits started to turn against the word. “The penetration of the game into American culture,” Szymanski writes, “has led to backlash against the use of the word in Britain, where it was once considered an innocuous alternative to the word ‘football.'”

Was bemused over being corrected by an American regarding my pronunciation of Scarborough - Scar-burra. According to these people, it should be Scar-boro, never mind that I was taught the former and lived there for almost half a year. :roll: Do these twats pronounce Pittsburgh as Pitts-boro? It should be Pitts-burra, as it was founded by a Scotsman, but the burg pronunciation stuck, probably due to the Germans, along with a printer's mistake, during the 1816 incorporation, resulting in the "H" disappearing for around an hundred years, despite being in the charter.

Silent letters tend to throw people off, because depending on dialect they may or may not be pronounced. And of course, you somehow transformed "Worcester" into "Wooster", dropping an entire syllable. I understand the frustrations of Spanish speakers trying to learn English, because Spanish is so simple in that regard. Thanks a lot, you tea-sipping dickweeds.
rebelyell2006

Postby JJCH nli » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I understood the correct pronunciation of Pittsburgh to be Shy-tole. In a similar vein, Scarborough, be it the one oop north or the beachside version in Australia should be pronounced Nay-val Gun-nery Tar-get.
JJCH nli

Postby smnli » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

rebelyell2006 wrote:I understand the frustrations of Spanish speakers trying to learn English, because Spanish is so simple in that regard. Thanks a lot, you tea-sipping dickweeds.

Welsh is the same - you say it like it's spelled. I suppose that's one of the benefits of making your language up on the spot to annoy foreigners.... the rules need to be simple so Scousers can suddenly pretend to be fluent welsh speakers everytime a Saes walks into the pub.
smnli

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot