State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby kyotebue2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Altius, we are always wrong and JJ is always right...he'll tell you all about it.... forever....
kyotebue2

Postby General Apathy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Actually no. Being intellectually lazy like you are you either didn't read or understand that Altius post in this instance is supportive of my position, not rebelyell's.

I have also, on rare occasion agreed with either or both of you and Reb. Proving once again that in your rush to be insulting, you are indeed intellectually lazy and too willing to grab that good old broad brush. I'm as happy to give credit where credit is due as you are to play your broken record. :D
...all this from someone who is neither apathetic nor a general
General Apathy

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 pm

rebelyell2006 wrote:
kawasaki wrote:There's something deeply wrong with the American psyche. I mean, I know Brits like to get completely twatted and indulge in mindless violence whilst eschewing modern dentistry, but Septics seem hellbent on mutual extermination.

Americans are intellectually lazy, so we are prone to believing propaganda and lies without question if the speaker seems convincing enough.

No doubt you exclude progressives from this generalization.
Nice groveling self loathing apology tour. Obama couldn't have done it better.

Postby Macunaima » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Jakar Nilson wrote:
Macunaima wrote:
McKinstry wrote:Brief pause in the surreal discussion around the need to argue that torture is bad to give Mac a kudo for any Stan Rogers reference.

I get the impression that DT23 thinks Stan is insulting. :D

I highly doubt that. Stan Rogers is venerated in the Maritimes and in Newfoundland.

I know! Which is why his comment surprised me.
Macunaima

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:03 pm

JJCH nli wrote:It's not like the cops here don't shoot folk on a whim. This one, just this week takes the fucking biscuit.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/polic ... x77yv.html

Worth reading the link btw, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so bloody sad.

I thought they were supposed to check their badges at the door and join the action on the floor.... :(
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Bronshtein » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:35 pm

They were probably intimidated by the weapon tucked in his pants.
Bronshtein

Postby rebelyell2006 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Guest wrote:
rebelyell2006 wrote:
kawasaki wrote:There's something deeply wrong with the American psyche. I mean, I know Brits like to get completely twatted and indulge in mindless violence whilst eschewing modern dentistry, but Septics seem hellbent on mutual extermination.

Americans are intellectually lazy, so we are prone to believing propaganda and lies without question if the speaker seems convincing enough.

Some excellent hubris, Guesty-poo.
rebelyell2006

Postby rebelyell2006 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Altius wrote:
rebelyell2006 wrote:

Americans are intellectually lazy, so we are prone to believing propaganda and lies without question if the speaker seems convincing enough. So when gun lobbyists and advertisers cry about dangers and how we need to buy guns to defend ourselves, Americans will unquestioningly buy guns and use them without thinking. That is also combined with a societal worship of the "Wild West", where people lived on their own and had to fight hard to survive. Of course, the "Wild West" was an invention of novelists, as the West was far more civilized and organized, outside of a few sociopaths who did not respect the new governments, and the townsfolk who were too impatient to wait for the law to do its job. Which loops back to that intellectual laziness, which creates impatience.

So how do you reconcile this with surveys that show that most Americans don't even own a gun?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/22/key-takeaways-on-americans-views-of-guns-and-gun-ownership/

In fact, didn't someone recently find that the majority of guns were concentrated in the hands of a ridiculously small group of people?

I don't think Americans are really any more or less "intellectually lazy" than any other group. I DO think that the gun industry has had a long campaign of propaganda backed up by political and cultural leaders who push the line that it's your only real defense in an increasingly dangerous world and it's not only your god-given right but your patriotic duty to buy as much of the product as possible. That shit will ring some bells with a certain segment of the populace no matter what country you're in.

That certain segment in Australia and the UK latches on to groups like UKIP and BNP, while over here they buy guns and kill people. How many non-owners believe the myths about the "Wild West"? Quite a few. Like I said, we are intellectually lazy, so we are easy prey for the gun lobbyists and advertisers.
rebelyell2006

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 pm

rebelyell2006 wrote:
Guest wrote:
rebelyell2006 wrote:

Some excellent hubris, Guesty-poo.

Do you even KNOW the meaning of the word "hubris"?
That's a just plain dumb response. Come on. You can do better than that.

Postby Altius » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 pm

The numbers don't back up your broad generalizations, amigo.

Apart from a few psychos, who really wants a return to the Wild West, anyway? Probably the same ones who are hoping for a zombie apocalypse.
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot